For this Discussion, you will analyze evidence-based strategies to establish stakeholder trust and buy-in for change and counteract resistance to change.
- Review the assigned chapters in the Fullan (2016) text. Consider the difference between adopting an innovative program, the complexity of actually implementing it, and why stakeholders resist change.
- Read the Gurley, Peters, & Collins (2015); Day, Gu, & Sammons (2016); Covey (2009); and Adams & Miskell (2016) articles. Think about the process of initiating and implementing change, the influence of leadership on change, and how to gain buy-in and trust from stakeholders throughout the change process.
- Reflect on experiences you have had in your professional practice where staff were resistant to a change in your specialization. What attempts were made by leadership to establish trust and buy-in for the change? What strategies were (or were not) used when staff members refused or pushed back during implementation? As a leader, what strategies would you have employed?
- Research evidence-based strategies for establishing trust and buy-in from staff prior to implementing change and for supporting staff when they resist changes during implementation.
An explanation of the following:
- Background information on an experience from your professional practice where staff were resisting a change in a program or practice in your specialization
- At least two strategies you would have used to establish trust and buy-in from the staff prior to implementing the change. Provide a research-supported rationale for your selected strategies.
- At least two strategies you would have employed when staff members refused or pushed back during implementation of the change process. Provide a research-supported rationale for your selected strategies.
For this Discussion, and all scholarly writing in this course and throughout your program, you will be required to use APA style and provide reference citations.
Note: To access this module’s required library resources, please click on the link to the Course Readings List, found in the Course Materials section of your Syllabus.
Fullan, M. (2016). The new meaning of educational change (5th ed.). New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
· Chapter 4, “Initiation, Implementation, and Continuation” (pp. 54–81)
· Chapter 6, “The Teacher” (pp. 97–122)
· Chapter 10, “The District Administrator” (pp. 177–208)
Gurley, D.K., Peters, G.B., & Collins, L. (2015). Mission, vision, values, and goals: An exploration of key organizational statements and daily practice in schools. Journal of Educational Change, 16(2), 217-242. doi:10.1007/s10833-014-9229-x
Day, C., Gu, Q, & Sammons, P. (2016). The impact of leadership on student outcomes: How successful school leaders use transformational and instructional strategies to make a difference. Educational Administration Quarterly, 52(2), 221-258. doi:10.1177/0013161X15616863
Adams, C. M., & Miskell, R. C. (2016). Teacher trust in district administration: A promising link of inquiry. Journal of Leadership for Effective and Equitable Organizations, 52(4), 1-32. doi: 10.1177/0013161X16652202
Covey, S. (2009). How the best leaders build trust. LeadershipNow. Retrieved from http://www.leadershipnow.com/CoveyOnTrust.html
Giancola, S. (2014). Evaluation matters: Getting the information you need from your evaluation. U.S. Department of Education. Retrieved from https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/oese/sst/evaluationmatters.pdf
Note: This resource is an essential guide for the completion of the Course Project. Be sure to read it for your work in this module, and refer to it often as you complete your Course Project.
Peurach, D.J., Glazer, J.L, Winchell Lenhoff, S. (2016). The developmental evaluation of school improvement networks. Educational Policy, 30(4), 606-648. doi:10.1177/0895904814557592
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now