Explain the concept of true collaboration in health care and describe the benefits of effective interdisciplinary collaboration
Collaboration and Teamwork in Healthcare
Explain the concept of true collaboration in health care and describe the benefits of effective interdisciplinary collaboration. Then, describe the characteristics required for effective collaboration, describe barriers to collaboration, and offer evidence-based strategies to overcome those barriers.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
· Competency 1: Explain the principles and practices of highly effective interdisciplinary collaboration.
. Explain the concept of collaboration in health care.
. Describe the characteristics and concepts required for effective interdisciplinary collaboration.
. Describe barriers to effective interdisciplinary collaboration.
. Identify evidence-based strategies to overcome barriers to effective interdisciplinary collaboration.
· Competency 3: Explain the internal and external factors that can affect the health of individuals, families, communities, and populations.
. Describe the benefits of effective collaboration and teamwork in health care for patients, organizations, and team members.
Every day, in every patient setting, health care professionals must interact with other health care professionals, as well as with providers from other professions to share information, conduct safety and quality checks, and work with patients in a variety of ways to make sure they understand their health care needs and will be more likely to comply with treatment plans.
Research consistently shows that interdisciplinary collaboration and teamwork improves the quality and safety of patient care by recognizing the skills and experience of each team member, allowing the team to function more effectively and efficiently.
To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of your professional community.
· Are interdisciplinary teams commonly used where you work?
. If so, in which areas are they more likely to be implemented?
. If not, in which areas would such a team be most effective?
· How can nurses encourage more interdisciplinary teams within their organizations?
The following optional resources are provided to support you in completing the assessment or to provide a helpful context. For additional resources, refer to the Research Resources and Supplemental Resources in the left navigation menu of your courseroom.
· Petri, L. (2010). Concept analysis of interdisciplinary collaboration. Nursing Forum, 45(2), 73–82.
· Bender, M., Connelly, C. D., & Brown, C. (2013). Interdisciplinary collaboration: The role of the clinical nurse leader. Journal of Nursing Management, 21(1), 165–174.
· Supper, I., Catalo, O., Lustman, M., Chemla, C., Bourgueil, Y., & Letrilliant, L. (2015). Interprofessional collaboration in primary healthcare: A review of facilitators and barriers perceived by involved actors. Journal of Public Health, 37(4), 717–727.
· Youngwerth, J., & Twaddle, M. (2011). Cultures of interdisciplinary teams: How to foster good dynamics. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 14(5), 650–654.
· Perreault, K., & Careau, E. (2012). Interprofessional collaboration: One or multiple realities? Journal of Interprofessional Care, 26(4), 256–258.
Course Library Guide
Access the following resources by clicking the links provided. Please note that URLs change frequently. Permissions for the following links have either been granted or deemed appropriate for educational use at the time of course publication.
· It Takes a Team | Transcript.
You are part of an interdisciplinary team that has been highly effective. Your supervisor asks you to write a short article about why the team has been so successful and submit it to the organizational newsletter for publication.
In the article you write for this assessment, be sure you do the following:
· Explain the concept of true collaboration in health care.
· Describe the benefits of effective collaboration and teamwork in health care for the following groups:
. Team members.
· Describe the characteristics and concepts required for effective interdisciplinary collaboration.
· Describe barriers to effective interdisciplinary collaboration.
· Identify evidence-based strategies to overcome barriers to effective interdisciplinary collaboration.
· Format this assessment according to current APA style and formatting guidelines.
· Include a title page and reference page.
· Ensure your assessment is 3–4 pages.
· Use double-spaced, 12-pt., Times New Roman font.