In this Discussion, you will reflect on your healthcare organization’s use of technology and offer a technology trend you observe in your environment.
- Reflect on the Resources related to digital information tools and technologies.
- Consider your healthcare organization’s use of healthcare technologies to manage and distribute information.
- Reflect on current and potential future trends, such as use of social media and mobile applications/telehealth, Internet of Things (IoT)-enabled asset tracking, or expert systems/artificial intelligence, and how they may impact nursing practice and healthcare delivery.
Post a description of general healthcare technology trends.
particularly related to data/information you have observed in use in your healthcare organization or nursing practice
Describe any potential challenges or risks that may be inherent in the technologies associated with these trends you described.
Then, describe at least two potential benefit and two potential risk associated with data safety, legislation, and patient care for the technologies you described.
Next, explain which healthcare technology trends you believe are most promising for impacting healthcare technology in nursing practice and explain why.
Describe whether this promise will contribute to improvements in patient care outcomes, efficiencies, or data management. Be specific and provide examples.
Answers all parts of the discussion question(s) expectations with reflective critical analysis and synthesis of knowledge gained from the course readings for the module and current credible sources.
Supported by at least five current, credible sources.
McGonigle, D., & Mastria, K. G. (2017). Nursing informatics and the foundation of knowledge (4th ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
· Chapter 14, “The Electronic Health Record and Clinical Informatics” (pp. 267–287)
· Chapter 15, “Informatics Tools to Promote Patient Safety and Quality Outcomes” (pp. 293–317)
· Chapter 16, “Patient Engagement and Connected Health” (pp. 323–338)
· Chapter 17, “Using Informatics to Promote Community/Population Health” (pp. 341–355)
· Chapter 18, “Telenursing and Remote Access Telehealth” (pp. 359–388)
Dykes, P. C., Rozenblum, R., Dalal, A., Massaro, A., Chang, F., Clements, M., Collins, S. …Bates, D. W. (2017). Prospective evaluation of a multifaceted intervention to improve outcomes in intensive care: The Promoting Respect and Ongoing Safety Through Patient Engagement Communication and Technology Study. Critical Care Medicine, 45(8), e806–e813. doi:10.1097/CCM.0000000000002449
HealthIT.gov. (2018c). What is an electronic health record (EHR)? Retrieved from
Rao-Gupta, S., Kruger, D. Leak, L. D., Tieman, L. A., & Manworren, R. C. B. (2018). Leveraging interactive patient care technology to Improve pain management engagement. Pain Management Nursing, 19(3), 212–221.
Skiba, D. (2017). Evaluation tools to appraise social media and mobile applications. Informatics, 4(3), 32–40.
Laureate Education (Producer). (2018). Public Health Informatics [Video file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Laureate Education (Producer). (2018). Electronic Records and Managing IT Change [Video file]. Baltimore, MD: Author